Wednesday 28 May 2008

♥Amigurumi Lovebug ♥

Long time no see, today I have another pattern for you all. Another crochet toy converted from the fantastic pattern by Heliina, you can find the crochet version here. Not only did she make a pretty little pink lovebug but by simply changing the colours you can make yourself a sweet little buzzy bee. My version is all knitted but I love how Heliina has added felt and pipe cleaners for more detail, especially the adorable heart shaped antennae.
So show how much you love someone by giving them a little lovebug and brighten up their day.



Materials· Set of 3.75mm needles (UK size 9, US size 5)
· Set of 3mm needles (UK size 11, US size 2 ½)
· Set of 3mm double pointed needles (optional for I-Cord)
· Yarn needle
· Toy stuffing
· Optional: black safety eyes, beads, buttons or felt for features, pipe cleaners.

Yarn colours· Pink
· Red
· Scraps of black yarn/thread if embroidering the eyes and mouth

Yarn weight: Double knitting/ worsted weight

Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through

Finished measurements: approx 3.5” tall and 2” wide (excluding antennae and wings)

Head (use 3.75 needles)
CO 6 sts
1. knit
2. knit
3. kfb every sts (12sts)
4. knit
5. *k1, kfb* along (18sts)
6. Knit
7. *k2,kfb* along (24sts)
8. Knit
9. *k3,kfb* along (30sts)
10. Knit
11. knit
12. Knit
13. Knit
14. Knit
15. *K2tog, k3* along (24sts)
16. Knit
17. *K2tog, k2* along (18sts)
18. Knit
19. *K2tog, k1* along (12sts)
20. Knit
21. *K2tog * along (6sts)

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly and secure. At this stage you may want to add the safety eyes and embroider a mouth. Use tail to mattress stitch row ends closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Close remaining opening leaving a long tail to sew onto body.

Body (use 3.75 needles)
CO 6 sts
1. knit
2. knit
3. kfb every sts (12sts)
4. knit
5. *k1, kfb* along (18sts)
6. Knit
7. *k2,kfb* along (24sts)
8. knit
9. Knit
10. Knit
11. Switch to red *K2tog, k2* along (18sts)
12. Knit
13. Change to pink knit
14. knit
15. Change to red knit
16. knit
17. Change to pink k2tog,k4,k2tog,k2,k2tog, k4, k2tog (14sts)
18. Knit
19. Knit
20. K2tog, k10, k2tog (12sts)
21. Knit
22. K2tog (6sts)

BO remaining stitches leaving a long tail. Use tail to mattress stitch the body closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Continue to mattress stitch until you reach the cast on stitches. Draw the yarn through the cast off stitches, pull tightly and secure. Weave in any leftover yarn ends.
Wings (use 3mm needles)
Make 2
CO 2 st
1. kfb, k to last st, kfb (4sts)
2. Knit
3. kfb, k to last st, kfb (6sts)
4. knit
5. kfb, k to last st, kfb (8sts)
6. knit
7. kfb, k to last st, kfb (10sts)
8. knit
9. kfb, k to last st, kfb (12sts)
10. knit
11. kfb, k to last st, kfb (14sts)
12. knit
13. k2 tog, k5 and turn, leaving remaining 7 st on the needle
14. knit
15. k2tog, k2, k2tog
16. knit
17. k2tog twice
18. BO 4 st, cut a long piece of yarn (about 10″) and weave through back of piece to reattach to other side (where you left off when turning)
19. k5, k2tog
20. k2tog, k2, k2tog
21. BO 4 st

Weave in any loose yarn ends
Antennae (use dpn's)
Make 2
Cast on 2 sts
1. I-cord for ¾” (2cm)
2. Kfb into both stitches (4sts)
3. Knit
4. Knit
5. Knit

Cut yarn leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly and secure. Shape the wider part of the antennae into the shape of a ball and sew over so a nice round shape is achieved.
Assembly:
Sew yarn tail from the head onto the bind off stitches of the body.
Sew the wings about halfway down on the body, sew them on so that they are symmetrical.
Sew the antennae onto the top of the head making sure they are symmetrical.

Face Features:
The lovebug in the pattern photograph has black toy safety eyes (size 5mm) Black mouth embroidered on with yarn. I would not recommend given this toy to a child under 3 years old if safety eyes are used. To make it safe to give to a child from birth I suggest embroidering eyes on with yarn, this makes the toy completely safe for any child from birth as the features cannot be easily removed or fall off.

Alternative features :
· Small button eyes
· Small bead eyes
· Glue on ‘googly’ eyes
· Felt eyes
· Pipe cleaner antennae

** WARNING: When using any embellishments please be aware of these may be choking hazards if given to small children or babies**
♥ Raynor
Online Knitting Class

11 comments:

Lil Knitter said...

OMG! I love him...he is so cute. You rock for having a knitted version. I love Amigurumi but I can't get the hang of crochet. Thanks for posting him...gotta set aside some time to give it a try. My daughter will love it! You're awesome!!!
Hugs!

Alyssa said...

Lovely and witty, as usual! Mind if I link to you again?

Unknown said...

Thanks guys, its nice to knowothers like my patterns.
Alyoops fell free to link to any of my patterns i don't mind :)
Raynor x

dragon knitter said...

just w anted to let you know that i posted a bout this pattern on the daily chum. too cute!

Alyssa said...

But I'm always happy to ask ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG this is just so cute... I'm not a patient knitter and small things take me an age because I've got chunky fingers but I think I am going to have to make me one of these...TFS

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I love them they are so cute! I'll have to try and make myself one. I'm trying to find new patterns to maybe sell some amis...would you mind if we sold things made from the pattern or would you rather we didn't?

a.a.k.a. said...

I've tried the pattern and I don't understand the bit about the wings; probably because I'm still a beginner knitter. Aside from forgetting what row I'm on, the only part that I find confusing is when it says to turn. I inferred that I should simply turn the project around and knit the stitches i had just knitted, but after following the instructions for the next few rows I became puzzled again. Would it be possible for you to explain that bit to me in greater detail?
BTW thank you for a great pattern. I used the pattern to make a bunny for my friend by simply leaving out the wings, antennae and the stripes, and added bunny ears instead.

pkatherine11@gmail.com said...

YOUR PROJECTS ARE SOOO CUTE.
THANK YOU FOR THE PATTERNS!

pkatherine11@gmail.com said...

YOUR PROJECTS ARE SOO CUTE!
THANK YOU FOR THE PATTERNS!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these. Is it possible to add this link and the crochet link to our website please as he would be perfect to do into our memory boxes. enquiries@uponbutterflywings.org
Lucy