Friday 15 May 2009

Sugar Bunny

 Free Bunny Rabbit Toy Knitting Pattern by Raynor Gellatly.

This pattern has been in my free project pipeline for a long time. The original is a very popular crochet rabbit from the Lions Brand website known as Best Bunny, I think this finished toy is adorable and so sweet hence why I've re-named it as the Sugar Bunny.
This toy was a huge hit with my one year old, she swiped it as soon as I had finished it off. however my two year old also wanted to give it hugs so it looks like i'll have to be knitting up more already. At least it has the official child seal of approval!
As always I love seeing the variety of toys people come up from my patterns so I'd love to see these adorable little bunnies knit in a whole array of colours, and remember to show off you work on the knitted toy box group.

This pattern is now available in Spanish thank to the wonderful Hatsuka for taking time to translate. Click here for Spanish translation.



Materials
· Set of 3.25mm needles (UK size 10, US size 3)
· Yarn needle
· Toy stuffing

Yarn colours · Cream
· Pink

Yarn weight: Double knitting/ worsted weight

Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through

Finished measurements: approx 6" tall

Click here for my abbrevation list

HEAD
CO6 in cream
1. purl
2. *Kfb* along (12sts)
3. Purl
4. *Kfb, k1* along (18st)
5. Purl
6. *Kfb, k2* along (24st)
7. Purl
8. *Kfb, k3* along (30st)
9-13. St-st 5 rows (start with purl)
14. *K2tog, k3* along (24st)
15. Purl
16. *K2tog, k2* along (18st)
17. Purl
18. *K2tog, k1* along (12st)
19. Purl
20. *K2tog* along (6st)

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly and secure. Use tail to mattress stitch row ends closed stopping halfway to add eyes and embroider on a nose and fill with stuffing. Close remaining opening and secure any loose yarn ends.


BODY
CO 6 sts in cream
1. purl
2. *kfb* along (12sts)
3. purl
4. *k1, kfb* along (18sts)
5. purl
6. *k2, kfb* along (24sts)
7. purl
8. *k3, kfb* along (30sts)
9-13. St-St 5 rows (start with purl)
14. *K2tog, k3* along (24sts)
15. Purl
16. Knit
17. Purl
18. *K2tog, k2* along (18sts)
19. Purl
20. Knit
21. Purl
22. *K2tog, k1* along (12sts)
23. Purl
24. BO

BO remaining stitches leaving a long tail. Use tail to mattress stitch the body closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Continue to mattress stitch until you reach the cast on stitches. Draw the yarn through the cast off stitches, pull tightly and secure. Weave in any leftover yarn ends.

EARS (make 2) Cast on 4 in pink
1. purl
2. knit
3. purl
4. *Kfb, k1* along (6st)
5. purl
6. knit
7. purl
8. *Kfb, k2* along (8st)
9. purl
10. knit
11. purl
12. *Kfb, k3* along (10st)
13. purl
14. knit
15. purl
16. *Kfb, k4* along (12st)
17. purl
18. knit
19. purl
20. *Kfb, k5* along (14st)
21-29. (begin with purl) St-st 9 rows
30. BO (leaving a long yarn tail about 13")

Fold the ear in half width-wise so the row ends meet. use the long yarn tail to whipstich together all the row ends and then leave the long yarn tail to sew the BO stitches to the head.

LEGS (make 2)
CO 6 sts in cream
1-5. st-st for 5 rows (start with purl)
6. *kfb* along (12sts)
7. Purl
8. Knit
Change to pink 9. Purl
10. Knit
11. Purl
12. k2tog along (6sts)

Cut yarn leaving a long yarn tail to mattress stitch the row end together. Stop halfway and lightly fill with stuffing. Continue up to the cast on stitches, then leave a long tail to sew onto body.

ARMS (make 2)
Cast on 6 in cream
1-7. st-st 7 rows

Cut yarn leaving a long yarn tail to mattress stitch the row end together. Stop halfway and lightly fill with stuffing. Continue up to the cast on stitches, then draw through all the cast on stitches to give a drawstring effect, pull tightly and secure and leave a long tail to sew onto body.

TAIL
CO 6 sts in cream
1. purl
2. *kfb* along (12sts)
3. Purl
4. Knit
5. Purl
6. k2tog around (6sts)

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly and secure. Use tail to mattress stitch row ends closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Close remaining opening leaving a long tail to sew onto body.
♥ Raynor

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Jellybum

19 comments:

miss aine said...

super cute. thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

adorable! i just added this to my ravelry favs. it's on the list to make for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

very cute. i want to make one in a chocolate color. :)

Unknown said...

Adorable! Thanks for sharing! :)

Melissa said...

This is so cute. I really need to practice the knitting skills that my grandma taught me so I can make adorable knitted things for my little girl.

Carolyn B said...

I love those floppy ears! Great pattern!

Anonymous said...

My 3 1/2 year old Emma just snatched mine out of my hand upon completion as well. I don't have a smooth way of up-loading a picture for you, but I did hers in a ridiculous rainbow yarn and she's pleased as punch and has asked for a whole family. We'll see about that.
I've never knit a toy before. I'm rather impressed with myself. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern!
You know, she probably WILL get a family, they're so sweet! :)

Erica

Jekka09 said...

How tall does the bunny end up being when you knit with this size needle?

W. R. Fletcher said...

Love this bunny! Can't wait to make her!

Britton Wentzel said...

This is so adorable! I would love to make one for a new baby in the family but I don't have a lot of time. What is the skill level to make this and about how much time is involved?

mauricemonkey said...

It says how tall it is near the top of the pattern.

mauricemonkey said...

I've adapted this pattern to make a giant bunny. I made two following the original. Now I've tripled the width and height, and I'm using needles about twice the size. It should be 15 - 20 times the size!!! I've done the body and half the head and it's huge. I <3 big teddy bears!!!

Unknown said...

This was so easy to do, I loved it! I have featured you in my own blog, linking to your site - hope thats ok. its http://pinklorna.blogspot.com
Thanks for the patter

Natalia said...

Thank you for converting this pattern!!! I made 2 in amigurumi, but I'd much rathher knit. Thank you!!!!

Mrs Feather - said...

HI there - thank you so much for these wonderful patterns - I am embarking on a charity knitting campaign for an amazing orphanage in Kenya that adopts children affected and infected by AIDS or HIV. I don't actually knit but I am recruiting knitters and giving them patterns of toys that I think will really sell and sending all the proceeds to Neema House Orphanage. Thanks again - Heather xx

LooPug said...

Great pattern, only my third knitting project ( first being a blanket, second a cardigan!) and it was so easy to follow and complete to make a cute toy for my baby due in 3 days! Thank you xxx

jaylippes said...

Here's a couple questions from a beginner...
When you say knit 12sts for a kfb is each front to back stitch one stitch or is it two?
Also, in this pattern, she calls for a cast on of 6 but then says kfb 12sts, does that mean 12 over multiple rows?
Thanks!

Unknown said...

HI Jaylippes,
I have edited the pattern line as *kfb* along (12sts)
basically once you have cast on 6 stitches, knit into the front and back of each stitch. On your needles one stitch will become two and so your 6 cast on stitches will become 12 when repeated into every stitch. This is all done in one single row and not over multiple rows.
I hope that helps make things clearer.
Happy knitting
Raynor x

Unknown said...

Do you know approximately how much yarn it takes to make? I have several partial skeins in different colors and want to know if I can get by without buying more yarn.