Friday 21 November 2008

Koala Baby

free koala knitting pattern toy


I've had parts of this pattern knit up for quite a while now but I put it to one side and completely forgot about it until I was rummaging through my knitted toy box today. I only needed to add limbs and ears to him and knew it would only take a few ours to knit up so I got cracking. I'm rather annoyed with myself that I didn't finish him sooner because he turned out so cute.

The pattern is a translation of this pattern, a crochet pattern designed by Tamie Snow of Roxycraft. So if you can crochet you should definitely checkout her site her patterns are great, and i love her sense of humour which she often puts into her patterns (which definitely do not suck!).

I also found this will be one of the very few free koala toy patterns out there, so I hope you all like him. Remember to add your pictures of your finished Koala's to the Knitted Toy Box flickr group, you know I love seeing you finished toys.




Materials
· Set of 3.25mm needles (UK size 10, US size 3)
· Yarn needle
· Toy Stuffing
· Scissors
· 5mm Toy safety eyes

Yarn colours
· Grey
· White
· Scraps of black yarn/thread if embroidering the eyes and nose

Yarn weight: Double knitting (DK)

Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through

Finished measurements: approx 4” tall and 3.5” wide

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Body
CO6
1. Purl
2. *Kfb* along(12sts)
3. Purl
4. *kfb, k1* along (18sts)
5. Purl
6. *Kfb* along (36sts)
7-21. (Begin with Purl) st-st for 15 rows
22. *k2tog * along (18sts)
23. BO

BO remaining stitches leaving a long tail. Use tail to mattress stitch the body closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Continue to mattress stitch until you reach the cast on stitches. Draw the yarn through the cast off stitches, pull tightly and secure. Weave in any leftover yarn ends.

HeadCO6
1. purl
2. kfb every sts (12sts)
3. purl
4. * kfb, k1* along (18sts)
5. Purl
6. *kfb, k2* along (24sts)
7. Purl
8. *kfb, k3* along (30sts)
9-15. (Begin with purl) st-st 7 rows
16. *K2tog, k3* along (24sts)
17. Purl
18. *K2tog, k2* along (18sts)
19. Purl
20. *K2tog, k1* along (12sts)
21. Purl
22. *K2tog * along (6sts)

Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches and pull tightly and secure. At this stage you may want to add the safety eyes and embroider a nose. Use tail to mattress stitch row ends closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing. Close remaining opening leaving a long tail to sew onto body.

Ears (make 2)
CO2 in white
1. purl
2. kfb,k1 (3sts)
3. purl
4. *kfb* along (6sts)
Change to grey
5. purl
6. *kfb* along (12sts)
7. purl
8. BO

Leave a long yarn tail to sew the ears to the head

Arms (make 2)
CO4
1. purl
2. *kfb* along (8st)
3. purl
4. *kfb, k1* along (12st)
5-9. (Begin with purl) st-st 5 rows
10. BO

Leave a long yarn tail to mattress stitch the row end together. Stop halfway and fill with stuffing. Continue up to the cast on stitches, then draw through all the cast on stitches to give a drawstring effect, pull tightly and secure and weave in any loose ends.

Legs (make 2)
CO4
1. purl
2. *kfb* along (8st)
3. purl
4. *kfb* along (16st)
5-9. (Begin with Purl) st-st 5 rows
10. BO

Leave a long yarn tail to mattress stitch the row end together. Stop halfway and fill with stuffing. Continue up to the cast on stitches, then draw through all the cast on stitches to give a drawstring effect, pull tightly and secure and weave in any loose ends.


Finishing
  • Attach ears to each side of the head by whip stitching the row ends as cast on stitches of the ears along the head length-wise.

  • Sew the head onto the BO neck edge of the body.

  • Attach arms and legs with the BO stitches against the body.

* REMEMBER* Never give toys with safety eyes to small children under 3 years old or to pets as they are a choking hazard. If your toys are intended for either of these groups I advise you to embroider them on with thread or scrap yarn.
♥ Raynor


12 comments:

Ramya said...

lovely. how do u translate crochet patts to knitting? pls enlighten me, i wld be grateful.

ramya

hattifattener said...

Squee! Your blog is the cutest thing I've seen since ... well probably ever! So many things made me clap my hands in delight like a dizzy schoolgirl! Plus bumped up my ravelry queue to about twice the size in one fell swoop!

luv knitting said...

I have just finished three of your animal patterns: monkey, elephant and giraffe. They are terrific. The patterns were clear and I was able to complete without any problems. Only one issue: cannot seem to find the right background for a photo that does them justice! Thank you again for the great patterns.

Anonymous said...

I just started amigurumi. I have been looking for a koala to knit for a long time because the koala is my college's mascot! Thanks so much for this! She is adorable!

Lemonlilo said...

thank you sooo much for this pattern,ive made some of your others,but this is my fav!my koala is purple!hehe

ChemKnits said...

I've made your tini amigurumi stuffed turtle before, and I'm so happy to randomly come across another of your patterns. I have a soft spot for Aussie animals. Thanks!

lucky said...

How cute the bear is .Thanks for the above introduction.I can't wait to make one.

Tessa Lois said...

I really want to knit this for a baby but i dont understand what most things mean like kfb along 12 sts. where could i find out how to do it step by step.

many thanks!

Unknown said...

HI Tessa the abbreviations for the pattern can be found here:
http://knittedtoybox.blogspot.co.uk/p/abbrevations.html
If your new to knitting it also gives you links to the online knitting help videos which is how i taught myself to knit.
Raynor x

Ellisen said...

Such a sweet little Koala. Thank you for sharing the pattern with us.

Unknown said...

I knitted this koala for my Australia friends! They loved him so much! Great pattern! Thanks so much for sharing. I blogged about it too! http://www.missjojangles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/knitted-koala.html

The Fiish lady said...

Hi,

Am i able to use your patterns to create animals to sell to help pay for my zoo keeping course?

I will give full credit to you for making the pattern.

Not sure if the other one worked,