Wednesday 23 April 2008

Sweet Little Bird

Free bird Toy Knitting Pattern by Raynor Gellatly.



This pattern is the first pattern I ever made. As you can see its not the most advanced of patterns but it does make some really cute little birds. So feel free to make a whole flock of little birdys in a rainbow of colours. The best bit about this pattern is that it uses tiny amounts of yarn, so get using up those scrap stashes!


Materials
• Set of 3mm needles (UK size 11, US size 3)
• Yarn needle
• Toy stuffing
• Optional: safety eyes, beads, buttons or felt for features
Yarn colours• Main colour of any choice
• Scraps of black and yellow yarn/thread if embroidering the eyes and beak
Yarn weight: Double knitting/ worsted weight
Gauge: not important but make it tight so stuffing doesn’t show through
Finished measurements: 2.5” tall and 2” wide

Body:Co 6 stitches
1.kfb into every stitch (12 sts)
2.knit
3.*k1, kfb* repeat along row (18sts)
4.Knit
5.*k2,kfb* repeat along row (24sts)
6.knit
7.Knit
8.Knit
9.*k3,kfb* repeat along row (30sts)
10.Knit
11 – 30 Garter stitch for 20 rows
31. *k3,k2tog* repeat along row (24sts)
32. knit
33. *k2,k2tog* repeat along row (18sts)
34. knit
35. *k1,k2tog* repeat along row (12sts)
36. knit
37. *k2tog* 6 times (6sts)
Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Draw tail through remaining stitches.
At this stage you may want to add the eye and beak features.
Use tail to mattress stitch row ends closed stopping halfway to fill with stuffing.
Once you reach cast on stitches, thread the yarn tail through, draw up the stitches
tightly and fasten off, weaving in any loose ends.

Wings (Make 2):
Co 6 sts
1.Kfb all stitches (12sts)
2.Knit
3.*k3, kfb* repeat along row (15sts)
4.Knit
5-10.Garter stitch for 6 rows
Bind off all stitches

Fold the wing in half width ways as show in the diagram below.



Sew up the open edges as shown by the red arrows in the diagram below

Tail:
CO 6 sts
1. Kfb all stitches (12sts)
2. Knit
3. Kfb all stitches (24 sts)
4. Knit
Bind off all stitches

Fold in half following the instructions for the wings. Make sure the bind off edge fans out to create a semi circle shape.

Assembly:
Sew tail on tail to the very lower part of the back of the body. Make sure the bind off (wider) edge is on the outside and the cast on (smaller) edge is joined to the body.
Sew the wings about halfway down on the body, sew them on so that they are symmetrical, and the tail remains centered between them.

Face Features:
The bird in the pattern photograph has French knot eyes made with black yarn and a yellow beak embroidered on with yarn. This makes the toy completely safe for any child from birth as the features cannot be easily removed or fall off.

However alternative features can be:
· Small black toy safety eyes (suggested size 5 -7 mm)
· Small button eyes
· Small bead eyes
· Glue on ‘googly’ eyes
· Felt beak

** WARNING: When using any embellishments please be aware of these may be choking hazards if given to small children or babies**
♥ Raynor


https://www.etsy.com/shop/Jellybum

17 comments:

Pantha said...

How very generous to share your cute patterns. Thank you. I look forward to continue reading your blog having found you today via Fuzzy Thoughts. All the ver best.

Samantha said...

This bird is too cute! Thanks for sharing the pattern, I will be making this one for sure!

Alyssa said...

I love this! Can I link to it in my blog?

Unknown said...

Thanks Alyoops, i'm more than happy for you to link the pattern to your blog.
♥ Raynor

Valmade said...

This bird is so cute.

I can't crochet so it's great that you've converted all those cute toy patterns there are to knitting.

I have lots of bits of wool around, so will be using them up trying this one out.

Thanks for sharing.

Val

Valmade said...

Hi,
I finally had a chance to make a couple of birds using your pattern. I have listed them here http://en.dawanda.com/shop/Valmade

Hope you like them.

Val

Anonymous said...

So super cute! I found this via Ravelry when my oldest was peeking over my shoulder. As soon as she it she asked if I could make it for her. Thank you so much for the pattern!

Unknown said...

OMG thank you so much! I was looking ALL OVER the Internet looking for something to make for my mom for Christmas...thank you so much! You just made my life SO much easier! :) :) :)

Tekgirl said...

I love this pattern- I made myself a 'little bluebird of happiness' from it though I did turn it round and make the bird look like he was flying rather than sitting. Same pattern- I just put his wings and face on in different places. He lives above my computer at work now and makes me smile whenever I look at him. Thanks!

Lovebird06 said...

This is adorable. I made one little pink birdy for a child, and i made a second bird with a little alteration. I made the other bird holding a little heart in his wings for my sweetie. Thanks alot for the pattern!

Elsee said...

Thanks for sharing that cute little birdie. Can't wait to make a few for new little ones, and then check out more of your patterns.

mother of purl said...

Thanks so much for this beautiful little bird. I hope you don't mind that I linked it to my blog.

Cassandra said...

Just made one of these, in black as a raven. Stuffed it with rice. Going to make another so I have two ravens. They're for a friend's birthday.

Sistergloss said...

Sorry, This pattern is made in a round?

Thanks.
Glò.

Elaine said...

Thanks! First pattern i've ever completed *successfully*. Super cute!!! <3 u
Mind if i post some of the pics on my blog?
https://www.sweet-n-condensed.blogspot.com

sarah_c said...

Love love love the bird, just made one for a play mat project I'm working in for My daughter. I'm going to make one into a rattle using a kinder egg and pepper corns, the plastic egg fits perfectly :) would it be possible to make this bird bigger? I'd like a few different sizes, but am still a beginner knitter so don't know how to alter a pattern x thanks in advance x

Emily "knitwit" Seaman said...

Thank you so so much for posting this pattern up. I have recently had a baby and this pattern was the first I have completed since before he was born. I'm using it in a little mobile for his crib. Again thank you so much I'm sure my 3 week old boy will love it.